Saturday, September 1, 2012

Dollars, Pounds or Euros?? Rule #2 about car rentals


This post is a duplication from my Spanish Pearls blog but wanted to share with others for sure.
I have been so focused on EUROS and SPAIN for the past months, that I clearly missed something quite important when I reserved a rental car for our Spain jaunt.  Fully expecting that the prices are listed as Euros, I dutifully converted those "Euros" to American dollars for my files when I charged it.  Imagine my surprise when the charges were much higher than they should be.  I was frustrated and very annoyed.

Until I was told by the English-owned car rental company that it was "Pounds" not Euros -- Oh!  That was what that little icon was to the left of the numbers.  As if I didn't know that!?  I visited England in 2006 with my good friend, Caroline, and we saw the symbol for pound all the time.  It was right in front of me and I still "saw" Euro because I assumed it was Euro.  So, I'm just saying..... I had a surprise.  Instead of $345 it was $450 --


1 British pound sterling = 1.5881 US dollars

Code: POUND   

Symbol for the Pound is£



1 Euro = 1.2580 US dollars

Code:  EUR
Symbol for the Euro is €

No comments:

Post a Comment