Monday, September 17, 2012

Majestic Madrid

After driving through Malaga side streets for some time looking for rental car return, we found it accidentally just in time to jump on a shuttle to the airport to get the train (metro) to the Malaga train station... The woman tossed us and our bags into a van with 5 other people like sacks and drove like a woman on a mission to put out the fire.  I had my eyes closed a few times and nearly spent time in the trunk of a mercedes (I was in the front seat with a bird's eye view).  Then she pointed down a ramp and said we could catch the metro to the train and bye bye.  The day was a bit muggy and we loved watching people flit here and there, some going our way.

When we got to the metro, I felt confident for a bit as I've ridden underground trains in Paris, Rome and London as well as Washington DC and NYC... but those machines weren't in Spanish :)  Steven was unfamiliar with all of it so I asked a man using the machine if he spoke English?  YES!  He pushed about 20 buttons and we got our tickets.  I told Steven we needed to get on a train whose city is listed as the last on that line and we would get off at out stop...somewhere in between.  We needed Maria Zambino stop.  When the train arrived it showed Malaga Centro and I hesitated... Steven headed for the doors and I followed.  I'd quickly forgotten what I'd taught him and he took over.  Thank goodness!

Once at Maria Zambino stop, we found the AVE train office but our reservation on line wasn't in place so we bought new tickets (we will figure out refunds later)... The bullet train is large, long, sleek and quiet.  It was interesting to see the land change from hills to plains.  Steven said it must be where the 'rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains' since the lush orchards of every variety of tree and plants could be seen for miles, terraced on and on and on...green and so evening planted it was as if someone had drawn them into the landscape.

2 1/2 hours later, we arrived into Atoche Train Station.  No signs for restrooms as in America.... they were few and far between..then we found the rental car offices and soon had a red Citroen.  There was something bothering me about the receipt and I noticed I'd been charged for the car rental even though I'd paid it from America.  The attendant said they never got the money... that's another story.

I had the map.  Steven had the keys and we had our hostel reseration, Barbieri Hostel at Victoria, 6.  Two hours later, after driving around until my eyes crossed while reading the map, we found the parking garage and knew we were close.  The magnificence of Madrid left me awestruck and Steven still fighting traffic (glad I am the designated map reader).  And then we arrived!

Calle Victoria, we were told, is a tiny street (that's why we couldn't find it) that is very well known in Madrid;  it is here that one buys tickets to bull fights --- only on Calle Victoria!  Once settled, slipped off into the narrow, cobble stone streets gazing at restaurants, shops, people, buildings and eager for dinner.  Menus line the restaurants and we both agreed the taparia looked cozy and inviting.  It was there at 10 p.m. we ate ensalada de atun (tuna salad), tapas and sangria while discussing the hectic but glorious day and our surroundings.

By 11:30 p.m. as we walked back to the hostel, people were everywhere as if it was 4 in the afternoon.  Music throbbed around us and Spanish chatter made me smile... Today, we meet Steven's friend (Ana) and the Prado (and Starbucks?) await.  No Cafe Mocha here except Starbucks and that is my brother's favorite.  I will drink cafe anywhere as long as it's the color of clouds, as cafe nube en la tasa grande.  I can say it smoothly at last and it is sitting beside me now.

1 comment:

  1. Pattriica I'm not seeing any Pics that you have posted on your trip. Anyone else having this problem. I'm using Safari.

    ReplyDelete