Sunday, September 2, 2012

Maps, villages and family trees

Eight villages are pinned on my map of Spain and the itinerary is prepared, although still fluid since we want to explore and research combined with fun and information.  Sometimes I remember when history lessons took my mind to Spain, France, England and beyond.  I shrugged it off, never imagining I might go to any of those places.

In 1991, I had the opportunity to visit France with a friend because her sister's child broke his leg and she needed a companion.  France, I thought?  Why not?  It was the beginning of my gypsy days.  Nancy introduced me to traveling, her French friends and magic.  I was never the same ever again.  In 1995, I told my mother we should go to Paris --- we needed only to buy a ticket.  She hesitated one second and agreed. Over the next few days, she said she'd like to ride the Chunnel Train.  That's in England, I told her.  Uh-Huh.  So, we added that to our agenda.  Then she said she always wanted to see Venice.  That's in Italy, I told her.  Uh-Huh.  So, that was the beginning of my book, A Roundabout Passage to Venice, that I published a couple years ago.  So -- I saw France, England (a bit) and Italy.  In 2005, my dear friend, Caroline, asked if I'd be interested in going to England for 2 weeks.  YES!  So, that was a fabulous view of England, Canterbury, Stonehenge, London and good memories.

Now, on to Spain.  How can one person be so lucky to see these far away places?  My abuelita's eyes sparkled when we spoke of far away places and now I will soon see where she was born and spent the first nine years of her life.  I will go to Calle San Salvador in Fuentesauco, the street where she lived and wander, sit and gaze, smell, and touch her homeland.  Yep, I'm definitely a Spanish gypsy.

My brother, Steven, and I will be part of where the Silvan family began and both of wish our brother, Rick, could be part of the crew.  Instead, we will live it and share it with every part of our being upon our return.  8 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment