Sunday, September 16, 2012

The beach at Torremolines

A wild weekend!  Saturday, Steven introduced me to Torremolinos, a coastal town about 40 minutes east of Malaga just after our second breakfast of Bocadillos filled with Tortilla Espanola, the eggs and potato pie that has become my next best friend.  Between that wonderful omelet-type wake-up food and the cafe with just enough milk to make it frothy and oh so memorable, we were starting the day as Spaniards..

Torremolinos was just a name on the map as I held it tightly, trying to guide us in the right direction away from Campanillas, where we have out little apartment at the Ruiz cousins in the country near Fresneda and Los Nunez.  And we found the "playa" --- a good place to park and found the Mediterranean sparkling alongside the sandy beach among sun-lovers in the Costa del Sol.  Steven got a new straw hat, we each found Spanish-decor towels and flipped flopped our way to rent the hamacas (chaise lounges) beneath straw-covered umbrellas.  It took a little getting used to as women walked around topless but after some while, I noticed nobody really stared (unless the men were being very adept at it behind their sun glasses...)  Old, young, skinny, fat.  It didn't matter.  Everyone was there to enjoy and they did just like we did.... sunburned but happy.

There was a family with 4 umbrellas stuck into the sand, surrounded by children as they talked and enjoyed a family Sunday at the beach... then another family joined them, more children, more kisses on each cheek and another umbrella became a little village.  The familial atmosphere was lovely to watch.  Each woman in the group took turns kissing and hugging the little children of their siblings (I am guessing) and before long, another family arrived, little children running to their cousins, kissing, hugging, laughing and pulling along their buckets and shovels.  It was a sight I'm so glad I didn't miss.  And the Spanish and camaraderie warmed me up (although the sun did a good job too).

I heard many Spanish words around me and I was so pleased to understand some of them.  Each day I can understand a bit more.  Steven teaches me each word, nuance and the Andaluz way.  In there south where we are, everyone drops their "S" and chops off the end of their words so that is the way I am learning.  Buenos dias is now bueno dia...

And more food to enjoy...  Boquerones are grilled anchovies and my brother seems to inhale them...heads or not.  In our cousin's restaurant, the heads were left on.  Here in Torremolinos, they cut them off and I ventured to eat some.  Oh yes... and the gaspacho soup was delicious...along with the sangria.  Ah, the beach was a place we will return to before we leave Spain for sure.  Steven tells me how to pronounce his favorite dish as O-A-O-A = bo-que-ro-nes.  I think I finally have it....

No comments:

Post a Comment