Thursday, August 23, 2012

Practicing my Spanish

Living in Casa Grande now, I see signs, brochures and stores with Spanish words (palabras) nearly every place I turn.  I've been trying to translate each word and sometimes I don't realize my lips are moving and people are beginning to stare.  I believe most of the Spanish-speaking people in my new town are Mexicans and even though their Spanish isn't the Spanish I will hear spoken in Spain, the written words are bound to get me going in the right direction.  (I hope).

In a restaurant recently, I requested my "Tacos de Pescado" and the man smiled as if to say, "keep trying, lady, you have a long way to go....."  But at least I'm trying (and smiling). 

Since I wasn't raised around Spanish speaking people like many of my new-found cousins and new-found Spanish friends, I don't have the memories of hearing my father or grandparents or aunts and uncles speaking Spanish and I'm told that is because they wanted to sound American!  I shake my head when I think of them trying to get away from the language and those of us trying to fill up our family trees trying to learn it again.  I am sure our old ones would laugh themselves silly or maybe they would be proud we care enough to learn their old language and their ways?  I choose to believe the latter. 

Thank you, Bobbie F. for the "mucha suerte, prima"
Thank you, Ramona for the "Besos y Abrazos"
Thank you, Steven A. for the "..............con pensamientos de mis abuelos y de buenos tiempos."

SONRISAS A USTEDES (smiles to you)

No comments:

Post a Comment