Monday, August 20, 2012

Euros vs. American dollars

Despite my realization that euros are worth significantly less than our dollar, I was unprepared for my bank visit today --- to order euros for my trip.  The euro's value has been simmering around .81 compares to one of our dollars for several months.  Today, it was the same; however, after the bank deducted its share to arrange for putting euros into my hands, the value dropped down to .76 ~


 To add to this dilemma, a further rude awakening is this:
1.  Using a credit card in Spain, I'll be charged an additional 3% for the transfer fee (convenience).
2.  Using an ATM card, I'll be charged for the pleasure of popping my card into their machines.
3.  If I forget to alert my credit card bank I am going out of the country, my card could be rejected.

The bank employee told me it was important before a trip out of the country to:
1. Find out if my credit card company waives the 3% transfer fee
2. Find out if my debit card / bank waives ATM fees
3. Remember a debit card will run through as a credit card for purchases, EFT from bank with the fees involved unless the card has specific waivers.  There could be duplicate charges here!

What ever happened to buy a ticket, pack a bag, hop on a plane and arrive in Spain in time for sangria and tapas?  

Should I charge, use ATM, or pay with a euro when I find that charming Spanish fan or shiny castenets? 

At least I will have euros in hand and my zip-it socks and fanny pack will be the hiding place for these bits of paper that are colorful and look like Monopoly money.  It reminds me of when my mother and I went to Europe in 1995 and spent our French francs and Italian lira as if it was play money.  With a .76 exchange, I believe I will watch it a bit closer this time to make sure there's plenty for Tempranillo or Malbec wine to go with all the tapas my brother promises that awaits for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment