Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sharing more than a Beach Towel



Today is Sunday.  Two cars.  Six people.  Three friends.  A chiringuito in Malaga.  And the Beach.
By now, those of you who follow my blog will know that a chiringuito is actually a restaurant and sometimes a tapas bar "on the beach" where you can let the sand sift through your toes while you eat. It is always a special place and first introduced to me by my amiga, Rina, during her recent visit with me.  I love chiringuitos because they are open to the elements, have umbrellas above our heads, I can hear the Mediterranean surf and everyone seems happy to be there.  Me too.

Paco Rosa and his daughters (Encarni and Natalia) from Fresneda (near Los Nuñez) invited us to share la comida, the biggest meal of the day, with them at the beach in Malaga.  When they said it was a chiringuito, my eyes must have lit up because both young women clapped their hands with delight and the plan was made.

This afternoon, while following them through the streets of Malaga (what fun dodging cars and keeping them in our sights)...I named Encarni "pied de plomo"  (lead foot or heavy foot).  She thought it was wildly funny when she heard me call her that once we stopped at Merendero Litoral on the beach.  The guys at the chiringuito all seemed to know these girls.  They'd reserved a table under the umbrellas and it's a good thing as there was a crowd inside, outside and beyond the umbrellas.
There were topless bathers, children without pants at all and others lazing on the sand.  One little boy about four or five pulled down his swimsuit in front of the surf and tried to pick out pieces of sand from his trunks.  Good luck with that.  He gave up, pulled them up again and jumped into the water.

I saw the little row boat filled with olive wood burning coals with espetos (sticks like shish kabobs) filled with several kinds of fish.  The "cook" was dripping sweat, red faced and smiling.  There were sardinas (sardines), calimari and other fish I did not recognize.  I did not know what kind of fish our table ordered.  I wanted langostinos al pil pil (giant prawns in garlic oil still bubbling hot when it was delivered...yum).  First, a huge salad, then plates of paella, deep fried gambas (shrimp) and then a large platter of...calimari.
Yes, I tried the sardinas again and ate three, like I did when Miguel Alba  took me to the beach a few weeks ago in Rincon de la Victoria.  I gingerly removed the head with my fork and then picked the fish apart, slipping my knife in between the meat and the bone, literally eviscerating the poor thing.  I think I ate about one tablespoon of fish and it was good, but..... No, I still did not like them.  Then, I took a slice of the calimari and no, it is not for me.  I ate my langostino, bites of salad and tasted everyone's plate...but no calimari or sardinas for me, thank you.



And there were pitchers of tinto verano and dessert of crema catalana which is close to creme brûlée  (dessert was on the table for anyone who wonders).  When we started to get up and took out towels for the beach, Paco pointed to our chairs..."sientete" (sit down) and a bottle was brought to the table with tiny plastic cups.  Liqueur de Herbieras (limoncello).  We all stood up, made a toast/salud and he wanted us to drink it down in one gulp.  I had trouble, but followed the crowd...

Then it was time for the beach.  The sea was roiling and Chad and the young women with Cess were in the water quicker than I could lay out my towel.  Steven followed and so did Christine.  Paco and Rick took photos.  Me?  I sat on my towel, thinking I wouldn't get in.  But I did.

When Rick asked if he could share my towel, of course.  Always room for a brother, right?  Sharing the day with my family and friends was perfect.  We watched the young people play, Chad swam like a fish and his water play antics entertained us for a long while.  Rick got up, I laid down and was lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves a few feet in front of me.  The group all together was too wonderful to ignore and I knew we were all sharing more than a beach towel.

It reminded me of the beach trip a few days ago in Calahonda when I wrote a few words during the special time together:

Sitting on the sands at Luna Beach alone was therapeutic in the early days of my sabbatical.  
Today, with my two brothers, my nephew and girlfriends added a new dimension to the beach time.
The waves were languid.
The sounds were musical enchantment
The sand was littered with tiny rocks, sea glass and sparkles
Peace permeated the day
No longer alone, the rush of familial camaraderie filled me up.
I came to find my ancestral family among old documents, dust and distant cousins.
And my brothers came to find me.
Life is indeed sweet

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!! Familial Love and Play~ Yay!!

    ReplyDelete