Monday, May 8, 2017

A Statue in Repose - Fuengirola and Sitio de Calahonda

El Carro is having a break today.  My brother, Steven, and his girlfriend (Christina) are visiting me from Oregon and he has a car.  It was odd to be a passenger instead of the driver and when Steven's car went into reverse instead of first gear getting on the highway, us ladies wondered if we should go back for El Carro after all (sort of joking here).

Fuengirola is fifteen minutes eastward from Calahonda...and we were on a mission.  Walk the boardwalk, find a few gifts for loved ones at home and enjoy the sea.   We found estepas (sardines on a stick roasting over coals inside a boat) that smelled good, looked intriguing but we didn't stop until we wound our way closer to the water.  Then, we saw a beautiful statue of a bare-breasted woman rising above us with her back toward the Mediterranean Sea.  We walked past her, slowly, marveling at the artistic splendor and felt the freedom she evoked.    The strength of her convictions pulled us forward, and we were one with her for a precious moment on our way to a chiringuito near the sandy shore.  

People watching kept us occupied while we waited for lunch.  I had tomate con melva (sliced tomatoes with melva (fish similar to tuna fillets).  It was perfect and then we wandered back toward the boardwalk.  When we heard the statue call me and Christine, we took turns climbing up onto her brick footpath.  And we listened before mimicking her stance and giggled like school children.  Life is so sweet sometimes in laughter, camaraderie, family and fun.

Later, when Spain woke up for dinner time late in the evening, we walked toward the Avenida de España so I could introduce my brother and Christine to La Latina, my favorite Spanish restaurant and introduce them to Miguel, the man who will be Callie's friend in book #4.  Our dinner was perfect, our wine was lovely and conversation with Miguel more than we expected.  Steven ate gambones (very large shrimp...bigger than longostinos)  and washed it down with chocolate ice cream.  Christine and I shared a skewer of chicken and an elegant goat cheese salad.  And tempranillo wine, of course.




Tomorrow I prepare my notes for Thursday's documentary filming session.  
It is hard to believe I have been in Spain two months already and there are still so many items on my Spanish bucket list.  But for tonight, I am content.  Having my brother and Christine here adds to the shine on my sabbatical and next week --- my older brother arrives with his son and fiancé.   My calendar is zooming faster than a freight train.


No comments:

Post a Comment