Saturday, March 25, 2017

A day in Almogia with new friends



Our morning began with Scalli, Scamp and Pesky jumping in the back of the car, I opened the grill gates and hooked them to the rock wall and Lyn backed up the driveway.  I hopped in and we drove to the dry riverbed in Fresneda just down the road from Los Nunez.  Lyn walks her dogs every morning, rain, shine, wind, rain or cold.  Today was the cold day at 43 degrees Fahrenheit ( 6.5  Centigrade).  The dogs danced their way across the rocky terrain and Lyn and I followed closely behind.  The first day was arduous, but now I'm getting into the swing of things.  Walking past a citrus orchard, the Spaniard hollered out a "Buena Dia" and we waved our hellos. Orange blossom scents followed us up the hills and down again, around the bend and back to the riverbed like a well-wound clock.  The dogs were jubilant and I was finally warm as we passed the "hundred dogs" barking hello, goodbye or who are you?  Tomorrow will be my last morning walk with my friend Lyn and her dog children and I will miss the camaraderie, the scent of oranges and scrambling along the riverbed.  I will miss our conversations, watching the dog's antics and the wondrous views from la casa redonda into the village beyond, the valley and mountains.  There are some people I haven't seen here, but I will wait until my brothers join me in May.


But today, I still had a special journey up the mountain toward Almogia, a village higher above us where white houses glistened in the meager sun.  Clouds marred part of the view, but I knew it was there as I'd been there before.  Old farmhouses and goat farms were scattered across the vast acres as Lyn drove us through the village.  


She showed me there is a town beyond as she sped along the curving road to our first stop:  Bobbie and Mike's beautiful house for coffee and chocolate biscuits (cookies).  Gracious and friendly, Mike led us past the beautiful swimming pool, white wooden railing fence with blue pineapple post ornaments and the sunroom beyond.  Wow, was what I thought when I saw the room.  Glass windows along the front of the room facing the swimming pool slid along a floor rail and each opened one upon the other so the entire room was opened up like a courtyard.  But not today, it was still under 50 degrees.



An interesting bevy of conversations, hot cafe con leche, biscuits and books!  I came away with several and I'm still trying to figure out where to put them...but I never turn down free books.  They are in my blood, I think.  Walking through the gardens and the outer courtyard back to the road, it was time to go.  Sadie and our next stop was just down the road.  The wind picked up a little and I began to feel chilled to the bone, but when we arrived at Sadie's house, I swooned with the view from her beautiful back patio(s).  Hugging my coat close, I went up the steps to the patio at the top of her house because I couldn't not see it...And it was worth it.  And then back down again, fast.  Cold and breezy up there!


Her house was cozy and inviting.  After she showed me all the rooms, she led us into a small salon (where the heater blew warm air and I didn't want to move from the couch).  She had chips and nuts, brought us hot tea and we chatted with Rusty, her cat nearby.  I couldn't stop staring out the windows of her home because the views pulled me like a magnet.  When lunch was ready, she led us back into the open kitchen/dining room, pulled hot plates from the oven already filled with roast beef soft enough to cut with a fork, roasted potatoes browned to perfection, steamed cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli.  I pointed to the two little biscuits with concave tops.  Lyn and Sadie told me it was yorkshire pudding, a traditional part of roast beef and gravy.  I slathered dark brown gravy on everything and inhaled the delectible aroma.  And it was all delicious with red wine and laughter.




When she gave us each a piece of lemon meringue pie, I wasn't sure if I could fit it in, but of course I did.  She made it from her lemons and the meringue was golden, browned perfectly.  And then there was the cheese plate!  Stilton, white cheddar, white cheese with cranberries and I can't remember the fourth type, but I had a bit of each one tempered with fine, square crackers.   When she gave me a small glass of creme de menthe to settle my stomach, I sipped that too.  And it worked.

It warmed up just enough to have a photo taken with the valleys of Almogia in the background.  


Back into the salon, the ladies drank more tea and we talked for quite some time with Rusty the cat's bum on my lap and his head sleeping on the armrest.  I am not typically a cat lover, but he was warm and stretched languidly against my hand as I petted him softly.  Sadie adores her Rusty.

When it was time to head back down the mountain, Lyn graciously stopped to show me where the Almogia village women washed their laundry in a community area.  Basins were built into a base and along the back wall were areas to pound the dirt from the clothes.  Oh, are we ever spoiled now so I can't imagine how hard these women worked.  


One more walk with the dogs.
One more breakfast with Lyn.
And then I will be riding the 2 o'clock train to Cordoba.
I will truly be alone in Spain for the first time since touching Spanish soil two weeks ago.
Anticipation wars with anxiety, but I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment