Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gathering Ruiz history

I am, as always, overwhelmed with the amount of information my Ruiz cousins, who are complete strangers, have shared with me.  Wholeheartedly and anxious to please.  Thank you, Jeri and  Janet.

In my first posting, I shared my father's diligence and pride at promoting and creating a sister city program between Winters, California and Almogia, Spain.  I hadn't thought about it much until a cousin recently told me the Almogia flag is no longer flying above City Hall.  I contacted the Chamber of Commerce and was distressed and disappointed to find that the program evidently died with my father in 2006.  So, I have decided to open it up again!

Whether in Winters or Almogia, I have the choice of setting it into place again.  Winters was such an important town where so many Spaniards landed, became successful, grew their families and so many of us call our ancestral beginnings in America.  Why not make sure those links carry on, I wondered?  So, I am on another quest to add to the others and hopefully when I am walking through the village of Almogia the mayor in that little village will agree with me!

Until then, I have the evening planned to study in my Spanish Rosetta Stone program.  I must learn Spanish so Steven doesn't shake his head at me when I can't understand our cousins upon arrival!!

No comments:

Post a Comment