Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Mediterranean, sand, shells and a Caipirinha from Brazil

 Another 9,000 step day, this time leading me, Chloe and Awad along the entire length of the boardwalk at Calahonda to the "end of the road."  Past my new favorite café con leche place in the sand, past La Luna Beach and onto the sand that led me right into the sea.  It was a little breezy, but by the time we arrived there, it was nice.  Even though I appear wrapped up like a mummy, I didn't want to drop my clothes into the sand, so I wound them around me.

I found unbroken shells, rocks, lots of sand and the water lapping at my ankles.  When I got too close, the waves sloshed upward to my knees, but we laughed and enjoyed it all.  The sound of the waves and the peace that permeated through us there on the nearly-empty edge of the boardwalk was a wonder.  So, we slipped off our shoes and sank down onto the sand without a towel or blanket.  What did we care?  We could wash up when we got home.  We spent a lovely hour or more there, just staring at the horizon, feeling the warm breeze, watching ships go by in the marine lane and gathering more shells.  I leaned back, closed my eyes and thanked my lucky stars again for this adventure.


And then we walked back up the Avenida de España, but I didn't recognize anything along the way.  I was stumped until the realization came that this avenue must be like a circle.  The avenue must wind around...initially upward to my little house and then at the roundabout, must return toward Luna Beach.  When we found a city street map posted on the top corner, it proved our imagination was right.  I won't get lost in the next few weeks now, as it's in my head and on my iPhone photo cache.

Exhausted after the long walk, I headed to the shower and then promptly fell into a sound sleep for over an hour.  It felt fabulous and it was difficult to wake up.  When I finally joined the posse upstairs again, we made another plan.  I wanted to go into the mountains to visit Mijas.  They have not seen the beautiful village and I want to see it again...

One important item was putting gas in El Carro.  I'd seen the station from the highway but didn't know how to get there.  There are many one-way streets, roundabouts and exits with nooks and crannies that continue to make me crazy.  But, with Chloe helping me, we found it, I put gas in the car (she was quite impressed that I can do this myself).  Were were ready to return home again? No.
First, dinner!  She and Awad were impressed again -- I parallel parked El Carro again.  I was so happy, I snapped their photo to prove it.

And then, we walked up and down the Avenida de España to choose a restaurant for dinner.  Chinese, Irish, Indian, Italian, British and violá = Spanish!  So we went into La Latina and were greeted by a friendly woman who was eager to please.  The decor was beautiful, it wasn't too fancy and the sign outside advertised something I'd never heard.

So, after talking with the waiter (also Spanish and very friendly) we ordered a Caipirinha because it was close to my heart.  The drink is actually from Brazil and made with sugar cane.  For those of you who know me, it was the sugar cane plantations that lured my Spanish family from Spain in 1907, 1911 and 1912.  So we all three ordered one and yum!  It was delicious.

When the menu mentioned Goat Cheese Salad, I ordered it for the third time since I arrived in Spain.


And then I noticed Aubergine's with honey that Sue C. ate (and shared with me) in Córdoba.  We ordered some with the thought of sharing it all.  Despite the Aubergine (eggplant) differing from Sue's dish, it was still very good, just not deep fried.  The salad was amazing with the melted goat cheese and spring greens dripping with balsamic vinegar.  All in all, we had great conversation, good food and now have new friends.  I think it will be my favorite place during my Calahonda sojourn.

And tomorrow?  I am going to drive El Carro up the mountain.  I hope I can remember where Lyn parked the car when she introduced me to the beautiful, white mountain village a couple of weeks ago.  I want to show Chloe and Awad the burros, the renovated (too-new) square, the bull ring and of course, eat a Spanish meal in the cave-like restaurant.  It is getting easier to drive the car and my fears are going away... slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment