Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Embraced by a stranger in Malaga: VICKY


This is Vicky.  She is delightful... just one of many strangers who have reached out to me from Spain whose friendship came about through the Hawaiian Spaniards Facebook site.  We'd connected a few times with the thought of (hopefully) meeting in Malaga.  But since I've been a big chicken about driving in Malaga, we procrastinated.  Until today.  She is the granddaughter of Demetrio Martin who traveled on the Heliopolis in 1907 to take advantage of the free passage to Hawaii and later immigrated to California.  Her family lost track of him and I hope we can help her find clues...

Our plan was to meet at the base of the brick, chimney column at the port on the Paseo Marítimo Antonio Banderas.  Of course, I left too early for fear of getting lost (but I didn't!).  The sky was blue, just a few clouds and a gentle breeze as I made my way down the beautiful boardwalk toward the column I could see on the far horizon...I couldn't figure out how to get to the parking area any closer.  A cafe beckoned and I soon had one of those toasted bread rolls and fluffy tomato concoctions (pan y tomate) alongside café con leche, my journal and a view of the sea in front of me.

People watching, one of my favorite pastimes.  A bike path was in front of me separated by the walking path, so it was a perfect spot for someone as nosy (curious) as me.  There was a dog with three legs that didn't seem to notice he was impaired.  Two old men pulled little wagons with their dogs along for the ride.  And two lovers sitting near me exploring each other's tattoos among other things...  Then, there was the man with a blue sweater, blue pants and blue suede shoes which, of course, put me in the mind of Elvis Presley's song "Blue Suede Shoes" and dad, who loved Elvis like I did and nearly cried when my brother (Steven) sat on his record when he was a kid.

Promptly at noon, I was sitting at the base of the chimney.  By 12:30, I thought Vicky was standing me up.  But, there she was in her flowered pants and black leather jacket and the biggest smile on her face as she jauntily arrived, gave me both Spanish cheek kisses and we were instant friends.  She'd been waiting along the boardwalk and thought I wasn't there at all!

A LONG walk later (I walked over 19,000 steps today) we made our way along the boardwalk, past the German River and toward the port where the Heliopolis took the immigrant passengers to Hawaii, including my great aunt Dolores Ruiz Garcia and her husband, Antone Ruis Martos and their children.  It was an eerie feeling to stand there where my ancestors stood, afraid and wondering what life had waiting for them.  The photo and details are included in Miguel Alba Trujillo's book titled, S.S. Heliopolis.
Vicky pointed to a very large ferris wheel and said we should ride it later to "see Malaga."  I stared at it and remembered when I'd done the same thing in London when I gazed across the Thames at the London Eye.  We shelved it until later and we walked along the port, then into the center of Malaga, Picasso's house, the Palacio Episcopal, the Cathedral, Roman Theater and then it was lunch time.  And there was a very narrow area off one of the big squares where Frederico Lorca used to write his poems!



El Pimpi was the restaurant Vicky wanted me to see... and it was amazing.  It housed an entire outside area, inside with many tables, a long hall with wine casks signed by stars (including Antonio Banderas and several flamenco dancers, singers and others), and a back patio teeming with grilled gates and plants and flowers.  I was awestruck.  This planter is actually just one of many giant coffee cups/planters... And then I ordered an ensalada Malagueñan and Tempranillo wine.  The salad was a mixture of potatoes, bacalao (cod), oranges, green olives and garlic (I think).  YUM.



Afterward, more walking, ice cream, and the "wheel."

Vicky was right.  The view was spectacular.  While we were chatting off and on during the day, she mentioned that her mother was a hair dresser.  I'd been chopping my hair to the point of craziness, so she called her mother and we had a 6:00 hair date.  Her mother did not speak English and neither did her father.  However, we chatted anyway (smile) with Vicky's help.  And her mother is an excellent hair dresser.  My hair is short but one of the best hair cuts I've had in a very long time.  It will grow.

And then, another surprise.  Miguel Alba Trujillo and his cousin met me and Vicky at a café near her house and we shared coffee and good conversation for awhile.  It was a delight and I had a bag of eggs from Vicky's chickens (really!) and fruit to take home with me.  The other (thank you, Vicky!!) surprise was once she walked me back to El Carro, she guided me out of town before jumping out after quick hugs and I was driving back to Calahonda in jig time.

Although my legs were exhausted after walking so far, I was exhilarated as I realized I'd actually kept up with a thirty-six year old woman and I could still move.  The hot bath was exactly what I needed and now I'm already packed for tomorrow's road trip BACK TO SEVILLE.

My friend, Rina, is coming!  My GPS is minding me perfectly and it's set to go to Gelves so I can park near Lynette's again...take a bus to the metro station and find our hotel that I scouted out last Friday before I made the return trip from Hell...
THIS time, my road trip will be just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment