Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Get old or be classic.


Get old or be classic is an advertisement I have seen several times while in Spain and I have adopted the mantra.  For me, being 75 years old has brought many changes in my life, but I still choose classic over old.  So, todayI decided to act the vagabond or gypsy and took off walking from the top of the hills in Benagalbón downward to the beach and boardwalk.  I needed a city street map so I can route out my adventures here, so blessing Google Maps, I followed the little blue dots down Avenue de Tívoli, made a few Avenue changes and within one hour and nearly five miles later, I found it.  Imagine my surprise when I sort of scratched my head because the beautiful building looked so familiar.  Three arched doorways made of brick with two 💦 water fountain ponds in front.  Hmmmm. I checked my phone for photos and sure enough, my brother Steven had walked me there the day I arrived and I had a photo of myself in the main archway —- the Oficina de Turismo, tourist office.  I had a good laugh and nobody to share it with.  It had been closed when we had seen it nd now I realized it was probably because siesta closes many shops and services from 2:00 to 5:00.  Inside, now open, was remarkable and I loved the water colors on the wall (taken especially for Donnie and Cheryl) and the auditorium set up for lectures. 

On my way down the avenues, I kept pulling out my phone to take photos because I just can’t get enough of the wonders of this area.  Lots of white buildings, flowing flowers everywhere and enclosed patios strewn along the way. When I arrived at the Parque Paloma, I found a half wall to sit down to rest (classic is good, but old news still sets in)…I glanced down the street and saw two MINI Coopers and incongruous  nearby was also a smart car that isn’t so smart to me since I could not go anywhere in one.  

Since walking down to the beach, obviously getting back to Lyn’s condo was all uphill, so I found a bus.  I’d memorized the numbers 103 and 121 to head inland, and Google Maps came alive once again. Not only did the map tell me where to catch the bus, but what time it would arrive and how many stops before mine to get to my location.  Along the way was Café Antonio again where there was an empty table…. Then a frutería (fruit market) where I found plums and tangerines.  Near the pay station, I found our Merienda snack to go with our tea. Perfect! I was very proud of myself. A pound of each of the fruits and the anise cookies were less than 5 euros.  

Riding the bus back home again was special because I am always offered a seat. People actually jump up and wave me to their seat.  Old people, you know.  But, classic no less. And waiting at home on Avenida Arroyo Hondo to pour me a glass of wine, was Saidie feeling better after her doc appointment.



No comments:

Post a Comment