Monday, October 10, 2022

An elusive farmacía and a glass of wine

My day was filled with a bit of panic-driven by haphazard directions to an elusive farmacía (pharmacy.) But first, we ate a lovely lunch near Lyn’s condo. My first bowl of salmorejo soup (called porra here) was perfect, topped with tuna, Serrano jamón (ham) and boiled eggs…just the way I like this creamy, cold Spanish soup.


Finding a pharmacy was paramount to our success in trying to get  an antibiotic for our friend, Saidie, who’s had a dreadful cough for several days, needs medical attention; no temperature, no sore throat and no Covid. Here in Spain, there are a few pharmacies that will give antibiotics without a prescription. At least that is what we’ve been told. So, after a long afternoon on the phone and much advice from several of Lyn’s friends on where to go, we were on our way. Lazy directions with only points of interest to describe the way, Lyn steadfastly drove us around for about 90 minutes without finding the “roundabout near the garage and turning right to find the old-fashioned farmacía”. We found several roundabouts and each one turned out wrong but Lyn would not give up despite Saidie and I saying enough. 

When we saw a man on a street corner, Lyn swerved to a stop.  He was leaning against a white-washed wall, so I rolled down my window and waved him over.  He raised an eyebrow at me before walking toward us, just a little suspicious…

Lyn leaned over and peered up at him. “Do you know if we are in Montemar?”

Irishman: “Oh…” (feeling no pain). “Sorry, I don’t even know where I am myself.  I’m just here from Ireland for a week.”

Lyn: “Thanks.” (And she rolled her eyes, clearly frustrated.)

She kept driving as we bantered as back-seat drivers. When we finally found the described roundabout, we all recognized the area at Montemar. BUT, it was the wrong farmacía plus there is no way they would prescribe an antibiotic for her cough without a prescription.  So, she sped off to the “surgery” to see a doctor only to be told she must arrive in person at 8:00 a.m. to request a same-day appointment. So, as precocious Annie says, tomorrow, tomorrow…


In the meantime, my Spanish SIM card had not been installed properly and I did not have phone service without wifi. Lyn, again, came to the rescue when she dropped me off at her computer guru’s shop. Ramón made magic happen and I’m now in like flint with my Spanish phone service intact.


Lyn had pointed out Café Antonio’s bar for me to wait for her and Saidie while she took her into the “surgery” (Urgent Care) and it was a few steps away from the computer shop. Imagine my delight when I ordered a vino tinto (red wine) and it was only 2 euros. By then, we all needed a drink. It was a rough day and being the stoic women that we are, we were sane again in no time.


And later, I even walked the dog! Scamp was so happy when we walked in the door; I hooked up her leash and she nearly dragged me around the entire community with Lyn’s laughter and conversation beside us. It was a good day in Spain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment