Saturday, February 11, 2017

Researching Spain for my adventure

28 days!
To respond to a friend, whose interest lay in how I "put my adventure" together, I decided to go step by step with the thought others might be interested too.  I started my research in June last year...

Photo: September 2012 - My brother (Steven) snapped this photo of me in Ávila, capital of the Spanish province of the same name, is a city in the rolling hill country northwest of Madrid. It’s best known for its intact medieval city walls, with 80-plus crenelated, semicircular towers and 9 gates, including the arched El Alcázar, on the eastern side. Long sections atop the walls are walkable. At night, the lighted walls are a distinctive sight.

LENGTH OF STAY:  My original plan was to stay from April 1 - June 30.  I wanted to be involved with some of the Ferías and my good friend, Rina, told me that going to Seville to see it was a must. Of course, it will be such fun because she will be with me during that adventure...  There are many ferías in various cities in the spring and I wanted to go to as many as possible...

WHERE TO STAY IN SPAIN:  Secondly, I knew I would be traveling to different cities and villages, but since I was going solo, I wanted a home base so I wasn't afraid of hanging in the wind without a house key or hotel reservation.  I belong to a wonderful Facebook site called We Love Memoirs (WLM).  On the FB page, over the past 2-3 years, I have "met" so many wonderful people -- and many live in Spain.  So, of course, that is where I started.  I received many good ideas and suggestions about where to stay as I wanted to feel the local culture without the big city feel.  Unfortunately, I knew I was going to depend on public transportation so it limited me just a little.  

FlipKey:  https://www.flipkey.com/andalusia-vacation-rentals/g187428/ - I found this site and found many options (I didn't realize until much later that their fees are a bit high for me, but that's life).  The house I found to rent is located in the Sitio de Calahonda in Mijas - a 2 bedroom house with Wi-Fi and a washer and dryer (my two absolutes).  Once I requested the rental, the homeowner contacted me and approved my rental based on my bio and interests/reasons behind my request.

So, now I had a house, my dates of living in Spain and I'd put down money on both.
Next post:  What happens when you add a Road Scholar Tour to the mix and everything gets upside down?
Patricia

1 comment:

  1. I would leave the pink backpack at home. Between the Rhoads scholar thing and the pink backpack.... thing will definitely get upside down🤢

    ReplyDelete