Monday, October 1, 2018

The amazing flowering patios of Cordoba



I love flowers in pots, in the ground and lacing around walls and windows.  Today, I felt as if I'd fallen into a piece of heaven.  The scent of jasmine was overwhelming and the fronds of palms, various plants and beautiful blooms littered the patios during our tour called Ruta de Patios.  Since pictures often convey more than mere words, you will find a photo gallery in today's posting.  I plucked a jasmine bloom and held it in my fingers during most of the tour and inhaled its scent off and on the entire time I listened to the young woman whose passion for flowers and the patios was obvious in her words, smile and efforts to pull us into her world.







After the flowering patio tour, I told Steven that last year I had been too chicken to find my way to Taberna San Miguel, the oldest (I think?) continuous-run tavern in Cordoba.  So, today he followed me and then I followed him until we found our way.  The food was delicious.  Ensalada Mixta (mixed salad) and pig's cheeks!  I was surprised by the size on the plate and mumbled my thoughts to him.
Me: "It must have been a big pig to have so much meat."
Steven: (laughing)  "Well, the menu doesn't say which cheeks they used..."
Me:  (thoughtful)  No words, just laughter.

pig cheeks (carradilla) and potatoes

I saw a special tavern today as we wandered around the rock-embedded streets; a tavern names La Manuela, which is my grandmother's name.  I also saw a shop with the name Romero Fernandez, which was the name of my grandfather's grandfather.  

We walked nearly 16,000 steps today, so I decided I could eat everything I wanted since we were "walking it off."  So, after Steven went his own way and I wandered in and out of the touristy shops, I found more ice cream.  There are heladerías (ice cream shops) on many street corners here.  I've already found three of them...
  
TOMORROW is our guided tour of La Mezquita (the mosque), Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos and the beautiful gardens plus the Juderia, the Jewish Quarter.  And then?  We drive toward Malaga to see my good friend Lyn in la casa redonda, my Ruiz cousins and friends again!  
Sometimes life is just so sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment