Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Cousins everywhere and two surprises


The village, the cousins and more fab memories.

 This morning started like a long-ago Los Nunez morning:  walking Scally, Scamp and Pesky, the dogs from la casa rodonda.  Lyn sounded surprised when I said yes when she asked if I was going to walk the dogs with her like I did last year.  What?  Por supuesto.  Of course! What fun it was to pop them into Lyn's car, drive down the road, across the one-lane bridge and park at the dry riverbed.  Nearly 3,000 steps later, I tried not to lag behind as the dogs led us back to the car and I hopped in.  Whew.  I am out of shape despite street walking in Torre del Mar, Malaga and Cordoba.  The dogs were happy.  I was happy and Lyn was happy.  I didn't think the day could get better. I was wrong.

After a lovely breakfast of yogurt, cereal and toast with marmalade for me...and that brown stuff Lyn likes on her toast...Marmite (yuk) for her, I asked Steven if he was up for a walk?  I wanted to take him up the road toward the lane where I remembered there was a cement stone with my father's name engraved into the road.  It was a memorial to him because he was instrumental in paving the dirt lanes and getting street lights installed years ago when he was mayor of Los Nunez.  Walking down the road was intricate...walking past the roosters that I hear in the mornings, the hens, and then seeing the stone marker...and then back upward again.

And the old, old houses along the way were so interesting.  I told Steven to stop whining and tried not  to tease him.  I knew the lane was very steep and he followed me unaware.  He is a good sport.

On the way back up the lanes, we saw children playing at a school behind a wrought iron gate.  I love saying "hola" (hello) to Spaniards and the children were congregating at the gate watching us.  I said, "Hola" in a singsong voice and made the turn, Steven right behind me.
Then I heard one of the children yell, "Hola, Patricia."
What?  I was stunned.  Without a second thought, I ran across the road to talk with the children and recognized (not sure how since it's been a few years since I saw this girl) Maria, who was the granddaughter of Juani Ruiz Ruiz, the niece of Angela Ruiz Fernandez.  She was delighted I'd joined them and all the children were suddenly shy.  After a bit of conversation, they said they spoke English "un poco"  (a little).  When I realized who called my name, I got mushy.  She was adorable and her friends tried to speak to us.
"Como esta?" (How are you?) I asked.
"We are fine.  How are you?"  They responded in English.
Steven and I laughed.  It was the exact wording we'd learned in our own first Spanish class.
How are you?  I am fine.  And you?  Ha ha.  Loved it.
Aon
I played in the swimming pool and tossed the ball for the dogs while Lyn went to chorus practice.  I lallygagged for awhile and fell asleep on the lounge chair.  And I got a little sunburn before running into the house to change, asking Steven if he wanted to practice his Spanish because we had a date with cousins down the road, Juani Ruiz Ruiz.


Juani Ruiz Ruiz was waiting for us later and it was delightful to try to converse.  Little Maria from the school this morning is his granddaughter.  My Spanish is not as good as it was last year when I lived here for three months, however we did fine between Steven's Spanish and my translation APP.  When I told them about my surprise encounter with Maria and her friends at the school, they laughed.  As it turned out, Maria had told her teacher about the documentary that Steven and I were in.  Her teacher discussed the documentary with the class and they knew about me.  I guess I am a star in Los Nunez.  (smile).

During our discussion over coffee and cookies with Juani and his wife, Mari, his daughter Angela and her husband Jose Maria, I mentioned my grandfather, Bernardo Ruiz Romero.  "Where is Arroyo de los Olivos?  I know my abuelo Ben was born there..." I asked.
Juani pointed out the window.
His daughter Angela grinned at me when she saw my face light up in surprise.
Her mother Mari rose her eyebrows.
Jose Maria grabbed his car keys and everyone led us to his car.
We were on a roll.  What?  It was close by and they were taking us there.  I felt suspended in time for a moment.  I'd heard of the "place" and knew it was somewhere near Los Nunez, but it had always been nebulous to me.  Within ten minutes, we were inching our way up a dirt track road behind the village and then we saw a sign, "Finca lo Romero" on the stone wall of a house and we were there.  My heart was beating wildly.  This is where my grandfather was born.  That meant the village I thought his mother lived in wasn't Alora, it was Arroyo de los Olivos in Almogia.  Another genealogy clue!  Olive trees were everywhere.  Juani said at one time, the Romero family lived in Los Nunez but they moved to Arroyo de los Olivos to farm the land.  NOW, Romero families encompass the area.  He did not think I was directly related to these Romero people but...how could I NOT be when my great grandmother, Rosa Romero Fernandez, gave birth to my grandfather there??  I am anxious to start that investigation.



By 7:00, it was time for the next adventure: dinner at Venta Gloria Restaurant where I would find my other cousin, Pedro Ruiz, who now owned the restaurant.  And there was Paco (the bartender),  Andres (the waiter) and their families.  We arrived when it was still daylight and as I laid my sunglasses on the counter and we ordered wine, I eyed the sunglasses and thought of Roberto's words...don't leave your sunglasses on the bar in the daytime because if you have a glass of wine in your hands and the sun has gone down, if a policeman comes in, they'll see your sunglasses and know you've been drinking for awhile.  I pushed them into my pocket, lifted my Ribiero del Duero and grinned.  I was safe for now.  (smile).

Andres recognized me when we walked in and came around the bar for a hug and gave me Spanish kisses on each cheek.  Then, when we moved to a table a while later, the bartender (Paco) arrived and he opened his arms to welcome me with the same hug, kisses.  It was very sweet.  We ordered Carridillo (pig cheeks), Gambas pil pil (prawns in garlic oil) and Rosada (grilled fish)...and then Pedro Ruiz arrived.  His grin lit up the room as he saw me and I rose to meet his warm hug and kisses.  He called his daughter Laura (who tried to teach me to dance flamenco last year) to tell her I was in the restaurant.  This family has overwhelmed me with their eager welcome and obvious love.  It is pretty amazing.  I was delighted to introduce Steven to my family and Lyn enjoyed it all, knowing most of these people as neighbors.
This is Laura Ruiz, the little cousin who tried to teach me to dance flamenco last year.  All grown up!  

Pedro Ruiz

What a lovely day.  When Pedro brought us a Bailey's with ice after we paid our dinner bill and winked at me, I felt full of all that is good in my life.  I've only been here in the country village for two days and I'm looking forward to the next few to follow.  A Tapas/Wine tour tomorrow night.  A festival and dinner party on Saturday.  A visit to Almogia soon and more good conversations with Lyn here at la casa redonda, the round house.
Life is truly sweet in Spain today.



No comments:

Post a Comment