Saturday, October 6, 2018

Speaking Spanish with cousins in Fresneda


Friday night in Los Nuñez....This time, I was forced to converse with my limited Spanish and each time I got my point across, everyone smiled with a sigh of relief.  Great fun all around.  I loved to see Maria Angela’s wrinkles smooth off her forehead when my words finally made sense. I loved every minute of having a nice, long visit with her and the family at El Corrito, their family-run store and bar restaurant on the little road down the hill from where we are staying in the round house.  The photo below shows Esther sitting on her Uncle Antonio's lap and Lyn on the left.

Esther is thirteen and her brother is nearly sixteen, both learning English and both sweetly shy.   I believe that Esther hopes to one day visit me in Arizona.  “Es mucho calor,” I said.  It’s very hot.  “No matter!” She replied in English with a cute little smile.

Antonio arrived (Maria Angela’s oldest brother) and all the chairs slid back so he could kiss me on both cheeks and give me a big hug.  I learned that he went to California in 1992 with their parents to visit my cousins, the Tortosa family.  What??  I’ve had a photo of my Aunt Millie and grandmother, Manuela SILVAN Trascasas (Ruiz) with a “couple from Spain.” Nobody could remember their names... Now I know!
Pedro Nuñez Camuñas and Francisca (Paca) Ruiz Martos

ALSO, in a flash, Maria Angela put a large photo album in front of me.  She opened the book to a large photo of Maria Ruiz Romero, the sister of my grandfather.  The family thought she was Maria Tortosa...but I said, “No.”. I pointed to each person in their photo book and said the names aloud.  So, we all learned something new about our family last night as the crowd grew in size and volume in tandem with alcohol intake.

When Lyn and I were ready to head home about 9:30, we were given a menu.  Time to eat dinner.  (Steven stayed home to recharge his batteries for the festival tonight...). More food, a glass of red wine, photos and then I stretched my Spanish to the limit.  Ah,  another wonderful family encounter.

I am writing this blog Saturday morning and we are preparing to the Peña El Revezo Benagalbón, the village of my great grandfather.  Steven’s great grandparents were married in the village.  Small world.

https://www.facebook.com/100003209928174/posts/1815467025236944/ 
Miguel sent the address for a chiringuito, a tavern on the beach. 
Steven:  We should leave early to avoid crowded highway.
Me:  Okay.  Good idea.
Steven:  If we get there too early, we can have a drink while we're waiting...
Me:  Like my friend says, I like your way of thinking...

I will post festival photos tomorrow.  I know there will be music, dancing, laughter and dinner will probably be very late by our standards in America, but very normal for Spain... and we will see most of our documentary crew and friends to celebrate our last time together before going home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment