Friday, September 21, 2018

Spain kissed me after my tears

I am no longer in sad straits.
My world smiled because since I left Spain last year, my most missed things were café con leche, tinto de verano con limón (a wine spritzer with lemon that the bars just couldn’t get right for me) and pig cheeks that are cooked so tender, they nearly melt in your mouth, called carillado and TODAY I ENJOYED ALL THREE.
The cafe below the apartment has WiFi and it secretly extends upstairs!  Last night, Miguel Alba and his cute wife, Isabel “Izzy” arrived at 9:00 pm to treat us to a Spanish dinner at La Cueva nearby.  The night was balmy and the walk was beautiful.  He ordered everything and remembered that I liked boquerones (fried anchovies) and my fave drink was tinto de verano.  I was impressed and enjoyed the Russian salad, ensalada pulpo (octopus salad) something pork, fish plancha (grilled).  By the end of dinner, I was sort of understanding some of the conversation, but Steven translated for me.

After dinner, a nice paseo (walk) along a flower lined, tile boardwalk ( stop for ice cream) and then we were in the sand at the beach.  I saw a chiringuito (cafe on the sand) and a boat with hot coals grilling sardinas on a stick, an espeto.



 A quick photo shoot with Izzy and we headed back.  Miguel gave me and Steven our documentary tickets for Monday night, kissed and hugged goodbye and drove away.  It was 11:30 pm...the street was quiet and so were we.  So many nice memories of the evening.

This morning, our first cafe con leche was delivered, steaming hot.  Our first sip brought our eyes open wide.  Strong...I only sprouted a few chest hairs.  LOL. The next sips and second cup went down easier.  Acclimated?  Por supuesto (of course)

By noon, I handed Steven the keys to el Carro II and I became our navigator.  We were off to make some changes at car rental place and we actually found our way to the airport!  Then, we had another date with Miguel.  This time, we wound our way up the mountain to Benagalbon, where the Ruiz family was from.  This is where some of the filming in the Spanish documentary was filmed.  Steven and I found a bar (they are dotting the landscape) and we felt refreshed after a warm walk... beer for him and of course tinto verano for me.

Miguel arrived with his attorney friend, Salvador, whom I’d met in Rincón de la Victoria last year.  His second surname is Ruiz, so we decided we must be cousins.  Another tinto and beer?  Of course...and then they led us across the beautiful flowered street to a cafe where Miguel ordered several plates of tapas.  We shared everything and spoke of our immigrant ancestors roots and the story behind the infamous poster from Hawaii that pulled our people away from Spain.  I am understanding more words!!!


It was exciting for Steven when Miguel and Salvador asked the owner of a grocery store about Steven’s Caño ancestors after seeing his family photos.  And then they knocked on a door where another Caño spoke with them, trying to fit his family into her family tree.  It was emotional and a bit overwhelming.

Back to the museum where I was filmed in the documentary.  Sweet memories for me, new memories for Steven.  A long day, warm, but rewarding.  More plans were made...what?  A festival in Rincón de la Victoria tomorrow?  Of course!  But not until after we have our cafe con leche downstairs at the cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment