Tuesday, September 18, 2018



DOCUMENTAL: PASAJE A HAWAI, 1907-1913 | TRÁILER
Trailer for https://www.facebook.com/CedecomAudiovisual/videos/2044843259179786/

I posted this trailer for the upcoming Spanish documentary because it is exciting to be part of this wonderful venture.  Why was I filmed in this documentary?  Because of my relationship to my great-aunt Dolores RUIZ Garcia who married Antone RUIS Martos.  Her brother was my great grandfather, Francisco RUIZ Garcia and I am a shirttail descendant.  They sailed from the port in Malaga, Spain to Hawaii on the Heliopolis in 1907.  It was the first immigrant ship sailing to the Hawaiian Islands and the sugar plantations.  

My friend Miguel ALBA Trujillo wrote a book titled the HELIOPOLIS and he introduced me to his friend, the producer of the documentary, Eterio ORTEGA Santillana.  They had heard about the book I wrote about my grandmother, Manuela (first in English as The Girl Immigrant and then translated into Spanish as Historia de una niña emigrante.)  And there you are.  

I'm just one of the descendants from this ship's sailing whose ancestors re-immigrated to California after leaving the Hawaiian sugar plantations in the early 1900s who was filmed in this documentary.  Last year I was filmed in a few segments in Spain and then in November, the film crew went to California and I was lucky enough to be filmed with my Aunt Millie Ruiz Cortopassi about our ancestors and I read a few excerpts from the book about our family.

TODAY, I fly to Spain and by the time you read this post, I should be in Malaga where I will reunite with Ruiz cousins and the many wonderful people I have met and now count as my friends.  And I won't be alone this year as Steven Alonzo, another descendant who was filmed also, will be there with the crew.  More later and I promise photos, especially after the documentary premiere that will be held Monday, September 24.  Stay tuned please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment