Saturday, September 29, 2018

A DAY TRIP TO COLMENAR, the village of Maria Carmen REY Garcia
and BEYOND

We started the day looking for a different place near the beach to find cafe con leche and when we saw the umbrellas with the edges dripping with trifles, we knew we'd found the right place.  The coffee was very good.  We haven't found coffee yet that wasn't, just some stronger than others.  

The ambiance of the beach on our left, a beautiful building with black filigree balconies across from us and the umbrella above to block the sun, started our day with a smile. We discussed driving up into the hills for my cousins from my great-grandfather's second marriage, the half-siblings to my grandfather Bernardo RUIZ Romero.  They may have been half-siblings by blood, but in their hearts, that never mattered because  we are all family.  The town of Maria Rey Garcia is Colmenar.  When I saw it on a road sign near where we are located, I knew it must be on our itinerary.  I am thankful that Steven is patient and amenable with my wayward thoughts and list of "must go" places.   Sometimes as I sit and contemplate the magnitude of this trip to Spain, I still have to pinch myself.  Being so many miles across the ocean from my loved ones seems almost surreal as I get up in the morning when they are sleeping and I go to bed when they are eating lunch.  My mind flies to them often during each day as I wonder what they are doing while I listen to Spaniards conversations and eat Spanish food.  And drink tinto verano con limon of course.  It sounds like that is all that I do, but of course, it is usually for a break in the day and a refreshing, cool drink is perfect.  I also like the bright, blue bottles of water and I keep filling mine to take with me daily.

Road trip time!  We are getting very good at finding the main highway, A-7 and Steven drove there easily.  Now that I have GPS on my phone (thank you, Albert Marques for suggesting the international SIM card!!!), I punched in Colmenar and off we went up into the hills above us as we followed the signs and marveled at how much the landscaped changed from the coastal area.





 The streets were brick and cobblestone and wound upward in some places that just the thought of driving the car on those narrow avenues made me shiver.  We parked in the center of town and headed toward the church steeple.  On the way through the very narrow streets, cars were parked haphazardly in the most strange areas.  Sidewalks and corners mean nothing to these drivers. As long as the vehicle is off the road, they are left alone.  We've learned blue zones are for two hours only (we already had to pay extra when we didn't follow those rules...1,40 euroes), yellow squiggly lines mean no parking and everything else was open to fight our way into the space of make our own.

We were huffing and puffing by the time we pulled our way up some stone steps, happy to see a hand rail to get to the top.  The old church might have been Maria Carmen Rey's church.  We saw another antique church farther up, but decided this one would have to do.  A beautiful garden shaded the side of the church courtyard and the scent of lavender followed us through the pathways.  Beautiful.  It was the iglesia (church) named IGLESIA Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion - Our Lady of Asuncion.  White stone walls were freshly painted, framed by the common yellow color of Spain.  The clock tower was in need of attention, but it reminded me of days gone past.  That's why we were there...  Pink bougainvillea crawled up the walls and the side of the church.

As Steven drove upward to find the highway again, I saw a sign for Antequera, 30 km.  What?  That was a beautiful memory for me when my brother, Steven, drove us there in 2012.
Me:  Have you ever been to Antequera?
Steven: No.
Me:  It's close!  Let's drive there so I can show you the collegiate church with the giant towers."
Steven gripped the steering wheel as we came to a Y in the road..."Okay, but which way??"
Me:  Straight...I think.  Oops, we need to make a U turn.
So he did.  From there the day became a little dicey.  We found Antequera.  We followed the GPS route.  When we saw the bullring, it was in the center of town (I think).  This restaurant was inside the bullring, so I do not know if it was instead of an active bullring or an addition to the bullring.

We were suddenly meshed into a traffic jam.  I didn't remember the town being this busy or so many streets and buildings...and where was the antique church?  I could have sworn my brother just hit town, took a couple turns and we were at the Roman ruins and inside the church in jig time.

I must say that one hour later, still listening to the GPS woman's voice telling us where to turn on each street was making me nervous.  I kept glancing at Steven and his knuckles were not white yet, but I was sure they would be very soon.  After a few more VERY narrow streets where I thought he might have to drive on the sidewalk to pass the parked cars, I very carefully said, "I don't know how you feel, but I think we need to find a way out of here."  I think I heard a "yes" but now that I think back it might have been a huge sigh.  We followed more streets and signs (rare to see a street listed on the corners of these villages).  When I saw the sign saying "Todos los direcciones" I got excited.
"Go that way!  That sign means we can find a way out in ALL DIRECTIONS."
He turned the car and we were on the highway again.  Sadly, we did not see the arcos de los gigantes, the Arch of the Giants or the huge church, but by then he was only thinking of needing a cold beer.  Me?  I was just following him back down the mountain toward Malaga.


Back in Torre del Mar, we found food and of course, chilled beverages.  Another day to add to our memories and then we needed to pack everything.  Tomorrow, we go to Cordoba to tour the mosque.  I just hope I can fit everything in my bag...




No comments:

Post a Comment