Saturday, June 3, 2017

Trascasas: The Lost Cousins and a Bodega

A reunion of cousins called TRASCASAS in the courtyard behind Mercedes and Jenaro's house in Toro today.  Mercedes made the plan and they came to meet their "lost cousin" from America.  I was touched through the heart with their humble welcome, smiles and kisses on both cheeks in the Spanish fashion, one that I have come to love in this country.  Each cousin I met had a special quality and personality that will cling to my memories in the days to come.  Each cousin was proud of their Trascasas heritage, as I am.
From left to right front: Josefa, me, Pilar, Mercedes
In back: Rafa, Domingo and Tomás.  One cousin was missing, Marcelina.  I hope to meet her tomorrow.

When Mercedes brought out my books, The Girl Immigrant and Historia de una niña emigrante translated by Consuelo Mellado from Madrid, the world seemed to change.  They were enthralled with the books, the story, our family tree and liked hearing about the Spain to Hawaii to California history.   We exchanged email addresses and I hope we stay in touch with one another.  I know that Mercedes Trascasas and I have struck a bond of friendship that is another gold bar to my heart.

BEFORE THE PARTY, Jenaro had taken me to his bodega (a small house he'd converted into his wine-making haven) where he wanted to get some of his home-made wine for the party.  When I saw the red door, I was enchanted.  When he showed me the inside, I could hardly believe it.  He'd managed to create a facility that was efficient and I liked seeing all the wine bottles both empty and filled with white wine (malvasia) and red wine (tinto de Toro).




Me:  Why don't you have your own wine label on your bottles?
Jenaro:  Oh, I just make it to enjoy.
Me:  I think you need a label.
Jenaro:  Oh?  He laughed.
Me:  I think a good name is Puerta Roja (Red Door) since your bodega has the beautiful door.
Jenaro:  I like it.
Who knows, maybe this kind man will actually have his own label and use my suggestion?  He seemed to like the idea and repeated it to others.  How fun that would be!

Behind their house is a very old granada (pomegranate) tree.  The debris and falling pieces make a terrible mess, so I helped them clean it up, sweeping, scrubbing, pulling a few weeds and generally getting ready for the family party to be held about 8:00 pm tonight.  The gardens are beautiful and Jenaro brought in several fresh artichokes.

And then we went shopping for today's meal and the party.  When I followed them into the carnecería (meat market), I was in for a surprise.  There were hams hanging all over the place, chorizo on one side hanging with signs telling me it was sweet or not.  And then another store where I saw garbanzos in a bag to buy by the pound (Fuentesaúco is the queen of garbanzo towns where my abuelita was from just 20 miles from Toro) and then another meat market.  Why?  Because the first one didn't have conejo (rabbit).  When Mercedes pointed to the rabbit she wanted, the woman took it onto the chopping block and bam, bam, bam with a knife the size of a machete and poof.  It was wrapped and we were walking out the door.  My head was still in a jingle.


When I told Mercedes about the document I had for my great grandmother's sister's baptism and that it listed the name of the street where the Trascasas family lived... on Calle Doctor Olivaras, Janero and Mercedes drove me there and I felt my heart flip.  



And then Janero drove us to el campo again where Mercedes created another big lunch called la comida.  This time it was conejo (rabbit) with arroz (rice) and mushrooms.  And again, it was delicious.    And again, when it was siesta time, I grabbed my green chair and Mercedes grabbed her pink one.  We snoozed in the shade for about an hour and then she began to read Historia de una niña emigrante.  She peppered me with questions and then told me it was very interesting.  I think she liked reading about her Trascasas ancestors in the story.   I spent time reading the book Jenaro bought for me today, which was a picture book about the history of Toro.

After the cousins left about 10:15, Mercedes turned to me and asked if I was tired?  No, not really. She grinned and asked if I wanted to walk into town?  Without a beat, I agreed.  Janeiro had left to watch the fútbal game where Real Madrid was playing and won!  On our way, we met him coming home again... so he turned around and bought us a glass of wine at the new favorite bodega bar called Casa del Cabildo.

Just before midnight, we walked back home after I told them if I didn't get back by midnight we would turn into pumpkins (yes, it took some translating to get that across to them).  I will certainly miss these gentle people, but my head was awhirl after all the Spanish during the family party and all I wanted was my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment