Sunday, July 21, 2019

Yes, I CAN speak Spanish

 Today found me immersed into the Spanish language with my cousins.  Both children, Adrian and Esther, both know English, but are shy using the words.  I, on the other hand, spoke Spanish in lurches to Maria Angela and her husband Manolo plus her brother, Antonio.  I was proud to be able to converse with them this year and they said I spoke mucho mejor, much better.  I grinned like a ninny.

Lunch was hot, fresh paella and when I saw it, I nearly swooned.  It was filled with chicken and pork and melted in my mouth.  Of course the red wine added to the luxury of the beautiful meal.  Manolo served and we learned that Adrien helped cook.  Both children jumped up to clear the table and overall, gave us the feeling that they were family in every way.  No arguments.  Just smiles.  He said he wants to be a policeman after college and of course I thought of Roberto.  I told him about Roberto and said he loved being a cop and later, a detective.  The boy didn’t stop smiling.  The family has just returned from holiday in Ávila, Salamanca, Fuentesaúco, Santiago de Compostela and Mérida. I came home with a map and good ideas since I’ll be in Fuentesaúco the third week of August.
 

Since I returned to Spain, I learned that our village, Los Nuñez, isn’t a village at all. It is a barriada, or hamlet in English.  There are several barriadas between here and the village of Campanillas, both areas where my family lived.  New awareness stuns me with each visit.  The culture is quite different than America and life appears so much more lackadaisical.  However, some Spaniards work harder than others, just like in other countries.  Everyone I’ve encountered is kind, friendly and eager to speak with me.  My Spanish is helping me eke through conversations (thank you, Janet.).  Once I get my words flowing, they roll out of me.  I’m as stunned as the Spaniards who listen to me.  I hope the novelty stays with me. (Smile).  When Steven Alonzo and I were here last fall, I leaned on him.   Now, I’m on my own, but after today, I have a bit more confidence.

My cousins said they had PAVO REAL outside in the back patio.  Hmmmm...I knew pavo translated into turkey.  Somehow, I knew I had it wrong because young (gorgeous) 16-year old Adrien said, “similar, but not turkey.”  My face was confused and he typed into my translator APP and I saw they meant peacock.  There was a mother, father and five baby peacocks.  And chickens. And a dog Manolo said was a German Shepherd but it was huge.  I think there must be a bit of Alaskan husky in his genes.

More genealogy information and a book of photos helped me. I have a date Tuesday to meet tia Lola (Aunt).  I hope my Spanish holds out.  Maria Ángela explained the family names and connections to me and the surnames made my head swim.  This photo is Josefa and Antonio, grandparents to Maria Angela.  I am beginning to feel the urge to get back to writing the Ruiz Legacies book.  

The weather is hot and the pool still lures me in.  We’ve been in the pool a few times and my book is nearly finished.  I ran my fingers through all of Lyn’s paperback books and my eyes locked on Gypsy.  When I began reading it, I told Lyn I’d begun reading the book two years ago and hadn’t finished it. Now I’m laughing because I think I actually finished it and I’m enjoying it all over again!

While I sat outside on the patio by the pool in the lounge chair this early evening, Spanish music wafted upwards from one of the white-washed houses down the hill.  It was delicious just to lay my head back, close my eyes and breathe it in.  The air is filled with sounds of barking dogs and birdsong.  The evening is winding down.  Lyn offered me a glass of chilled rosé, her favorite summer beverage...and now it could be mine, except tinto verano still takes first place.

Tomorrow, Lyn says we should drive down to the costa del sol to Fuengirola, where the Mediterráneo Statue waits for me to update my wanton photo.  This I will do.  Maybe I should drive Lola to get some practice in...we will see how gutsy I feel in the morning.

For me, I am beginning to feel Spain in my soul again.  I’ve missed it and the days are getting brighter.


No comments:

Post a Comment