Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Touching the hearts in Fuentesauco, Zamora, España


Francisco “Paco” Hidalgo Marcos is a distant cousin who lives in Fuentesauco with his wife, Dr. María Pilar Utrilla Mainz. I met this couple during my 2019 visit, but there were a lot of people in the room and it was difficult to understand much, except that he is a Silván descendant through his grandmother, Clara Silván.  This time, I had both of them to myself with my brother, Steven. What a difference it was to converse and enjoy each other.  There are so many thoughts in my head, I am unsure if I can tell it in words.  First, and foremost, is The Girl Immigrant book (Historia de un niña emigrante). When I put the book into his hands and told him it was my gift, the story of my grandmothers immigration from Fuentesauco to Hawaii, he touched it with reverence.  As I watched him turn the pages of the Spanish version of my book, I could not keep the tears from blocking my throat.  So, I will show in photos instead of words.

Paco does not know anything about his family on his abuela Clara Silván García side of the family tree. So, seeing the family immigration story listing Silván names took his breath away and brought tears to his eyes. He shared family names with us and pulled out a metal box filled with photos.  He is a proud man, soft spoken and simpatico. His hug and cheek kisses were heart felt and he seemed to be filled with the family spirit like me, wanting to know about our families. I will post on the Silván Facebook sight for further information.






Pilar, his wife, was a doctor before she retired and Paco was an economist professor. There are books everywhere…my kind of place. When she showed me their back patio, I smiled as she pointed to everything for me. Afterward, she trotted us all over the village to show us Paco’s grandmother, Clara Silvan’s house, the Plaza Mayor, a very rustic shop and the library.  She introduced us to everyone in her wake.  At the library, the librarian was very interested in my book, so I gifted her a copy.  Now, I can smile at the thought that Historia de una niña emigrante is in the Fuentesauco library!!

To the cementario next. We told them we had walked through the entire cemetery ten years earlier and found Hernandez Martin headstones, but no Silvans.  Maybe they did not understand us, I thought.  She practically marched us through the doors and over to a huge statue and burial stones. She pulled the flowers back and pointed to the etched stone, which was lost in time. SILVÁN!!! It was Clara Silvan’s stone. Amazing. The blue sky above us seemed to laugh at us.  How on earth do historians and genealogists find this stuff without local help???





Paco and Pilar treated us to a wonderful meal about 2:00, the big dinner hour.  After an ensalada Ruso, crusty bread,  merluza (hake fish) and green salad later, Pilar surprised us again. She gave us a huge bag of Garbanzos (Fuentesauco is the largest grower of these beans that my grandmother and then my other raised us on). There is no way to fit them in our luggage, but we didn’t have the heart to tell her that.  She raised her hand and showed us a key. Steven and I were perplexed until she mentioned Clara Silván. The key to her house that is about 1,000 years old.  Not a typo. Of course we went inside. Despite not being able to turn on the lights, we went from room to room with my camera flash and Steven’s phone flashlight. Thank you, Apple.





By the time this day was over, we were drunk with pleasure and exhaustion. 
Tomorrow, we drive to Madrid for our final sleep before walking onto a plane and walking off again at our own cities. We are ready.  But, wait. In Madrid, we will see Mercedes and Jenaro again, with their daughter, Cintia, who found me through ancestry.com ten years ago. We have been truly blessed with our Spanish family who continue to welcome us into their world.

Life is sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment