Sunday, April 23, 2017

A Memorable dog walk, Spanish market and ice cream with whiskey


A day in Los Nuñez, by now I know, begins with walking.  Scalli(wag), Pesky and Scamp jumped in Lyn's car like usual this morning.  I opened the grilled gates, Lyn backed out, I closed the gates and then I jumped in.  She drove to the dry river bed and it was a morning walk like we've shared several times.  I was pleasantly surprised to smell orange blossoms still in the air.  But, this time, Scalli was naughty.  Somewhere along the way, she managed to get into some muck that smelled so badly that Lyn and I had to finish our walk by breathing through our mouths.  Oh my stars...nasty, nasty.  Scalli's honey-colored hair was covered down her back, matted in white creamy stuff.  Back at the car at last,  Lyn tried to clean her as much as possible before allowing her into the back of her car to drive home again.  The smell was so horrible, we kept heaving our breaths out the open windows.  (Scalli seemed perfectly comfortable and so did the other dogs).  Poor Lyn scrubbed Scalli's dog hairs with shampoo and any number of scent-killing cleaners, sprayed her and scrubbed her again...all the while telling her, "Scalli, you were a naughty girl.  Don't you ever do that again..."  I tried not to laugh but couldn't manage it.  Lyn thought it was fox poop?

Afterward, we cleaned ourselves up properly.  It was time for the Spanish market at the Palacio de Feria grounds in Malaga.  There were so many tables, booths and areas filled with items for sale, my eyes couldn't take it all in.  AND so many shoes for sale!  I started counting the shoe displays as we walked up and down the levels of vendors.  I stopped counting at twenty.

Clothes.  Vegetables, honey, purses, and more shoes than I could hope to count.  Several caught my eye, especially this one...but I was a good girl.  I did not buy them (although my friend, Darla, says I should head back there and pick them up...)

It was also a people-watching mecca. Girls in shorts, pantyhose and boots.  Women in skirts, high-rise blouses and sandals so high, I'd teeter myself onto the ground if I tried to wear them.  And so many stretchy jeans with the fronts slashed down them looking like someone had fun with a sharp knife.  Knock off underwear for men and women. And more shoes.

It was exhausting and fun.
Then, we drove back toward the little village because we were expected at Venta Gloria Restaurant for 2:00 almuerzo (lunch).  When cousin Elisa saw us arrive, she and her father, Pedro Ruiz (the owner), beckoned us into the large back room of the restaurant where I'd followed Laura in flamenco dance steps not long ago.

I was touched that the table was already set up and waiting for us, my name written on the table to reserve it.  Laura stopped by for kisses and a welcome.  Both girls were working in the restaurant today... In fact, there were so many tables to serve, we noticed there were four men and several women trying to keep up with the orders, including Pedro himself.
Green olives and bread were already waiting for us and so delicious.  I noticed that each olive was nicked and the seed was easily maneuvered out with each bite.  Lyn explained they are cut, soaked in water for ten days and outlined the steps to make them taste so good.  She's tried twice, but they failed to taste this good.  So, she said for 2 euros, she buys large jars for her tapas now.
I made a toast to my haven at Lyn's in Los Nuñez and she toasted to our ongoing friendship.
Rosado fritas (fried fish) for me and Gambas pil-pil (prawns) for Lyn.  Spaniards began to arrive in droves.  All around us, the tables began to fill up and Spanish chatter rose in tandem with the size of the crowd.  Our food and service by Pedro and Andres was perfect.  When Lyn ordered dessert, I was mystified.  It was tarte whikee (spelling wrong?)  It was a slice of vanilla ice cream layered beside white frozen cream...with whiskey dribbled over it all.  I had to taste it...and it was delicious.
The day (and weekend) was relaxing, calming and memorable.  Later, El Carro pedaled us home without a problem, for which I was absolutely thankful for.  I've had enough crazy travel experiences lately and I think he knew better than to throw me a curve.

Tonight, I charted out my road trip for Malaga on Tuesday to meet another Spanish internet friend from Hawaiian Spaniards Facebook page named Vicky.  Oh, and also for my alternative trip route to Seville on Wednesday to meet my friend from Casa Grande.  Another grand adventure around the Feria.  But first, I need to get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment