Friday, September 7, 2012

Do NOT save packing to the last minute!!


Today, my plan was to finish packing and relax before flying to Portland tomorrow... The best laid plans are..... (not happening).

It was a wild day and much more than I was prepared for!  I planned to finish packing today, spend a leisure time and relax.  Then, the washer broke down (I have a new front-loader) about 8:30 and when I finally got the door opened, all the water rushed out like Niagara Falls!  I followed the book’s troubleshooting steps and thought I had it beat--- so I put in a light load.  I was wrong. The error message was defined (EO) as bad drainage.  I pulled drainage hose out, cleaned filter, squeezed behind the washer (ouch) and unplugged it before working on it and then the water rushed out again!  I called LG customer service and he tried several things.  No go.  So, here it is the last day before I leave, a broken washer, 4 loads of wash and the repairman can’t come until Wednesday.  Shaking my head, trying to keep UP, I knew I’d have to find a Laundromat.  

Well, I found one with my GPS and I put all the clothes in 4 washers (the place was empty --- not even an attendant) and then I couldn't find the slots to put the quarters.  Dollars instead, I thought?  No space for that either except it looked like it had a space for a credit card instead?  I walked around the place (very annoyed by then) and found 2 machines and after studying it well, I saw I had to buy a “card” for $1 and once I had my card, I could “add value” by putting more dollar bills into the machine.  Then, I had to take the card to the machine to begin my wash…. I bought a card and when I put it in (as instructed) to “add value” the machine had a message that it couldn't ‘read my card’ and to go to the attendant (which was no place in sight).  So, thinking it was dysfunctional, I bought another card from the other machine.  So far, so good.  When I followed all the directions, I put in my card and another $12 and then when I finalized it….. yep --- the machine “ couldn't read the card.  Annoyed change to major frustration!  I went over and pulled all my dirty clothes out of the washers, put them back into my baskets and marched them to the car.  

Then I got my GPS out again to find another Laundromat.  I found one and realized it was in the mall close to my house!!  Following the directions and watching my car as a little blue dot on my iPhone, I followed it to a STONE WALL!!!  Then I called the place (no, I have no idea why I didn't call sooner…. I decided that driving around and getting lost for 20 minutes was more fun J)  UGH.   I was told that the place was a cleaners with “laundry options” and they’d wash my clothes for $6.50 a load!  I told her I wanted to wash only but she said the $6.50 included drying and folding too.  How nice ~  So, I took out the stupid GPS (I’d lost completely trust in it by now) and found 2 others across town and headed their way.  Suddenly, it dawned on me that I was absolutely nuts!  My friends, Linda and Gary, had a washer at their house and after 2 hours of crazed laundry-mentality, I headed over.  They saved my bacon.

Their house was 91 degrees (I’d turned off the A/C for them as instructed a couple months ago) but their washer worked!  So, from 11:00 to 1:30, I wandered on my mission.  Then, I finally began my washing and got home about 5:00 p.m.  So much for the leisure day and being treated to dinner OUT.  We had leftovers (they were good, by the way) and I had my wine call with Mom.  And then the packing was waiting. 

A glass of wine made it all better at the end of the day and I’m nearly packed now…
Off to visit Mom for the weekend and then Monday EspaƱa awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment