Tuesday, May 2, 2017

What is a Chiringuito in the sand?

 Luna Beach's siren call could be heard from the sandy Mediterranean all the way to Calle Monte Paraiso.  It was early.  We'd enjoyed hot coffee from the new little pot, eaten toast dripping with butter and slathered with marmalade.  We'd promised ourselves a lazy day.  So, we listened to the sea's invitation and our toes soon dipped through the sandy beach amid small, polished rocks and seashells.

The sounds of the breakers mesmerized us as we walked along the wet sand, jumping in and out of the frothing water heading west toward Marbella.  The seaside stretched before us past a few topless sun bathers where one girl was taking selfies of her body as her tattooed playmate sat beside her in a pose to catch our eye...and he did.  (That's how we saw the girl with her camera).  Several couples walked along the beach, some in bikinis, many in shorts and t-shirts.  One girl walked by us quickly with a backpack strapped to back.  It looked out of place.  Was she walking the coast?  And the girls pulling the baby buggy through the sand...
The sand was warm as we dodged the bigger rocks and slid our toes into pockets of the sparkling stuff.  And then, after quite some walk, we turned back toward Calahonda.  Rina had been chattering about something called a chiringuito the moment we hit the boardwalk and I tried to understand the Spanish word.  I repeated it several times without remembering the pronunciation.  Rina finally said, "escuchame, Patricia" (listen to me).  It echoed in my ears, but when she pointed toward the tapas bar on the beach with the grass-covered oumbrellas and tables waiting in the sun, a light turned on.  Ah, a chiringuito.

Less than a minute later, we found chairs half in the shade with the sounds of the surf and soft music filtering across the small patio.  I had tinto verano and Rina had her beer so quickly, I knew this new word would stay with me now.  And I can also pronounce it carefully.  My new favorite word, I think.  We sat in the shaded area with the sun peeking between the fronds of the umbrella and the sea's music in our ears...for three hours.

Rina's fish came with the head on, which she was delighted with...french fries and vegetables.  Me?  A Spanish omelet called Tortilla Española is one of my most favorite foods in Spain.  And this was perfect.  I ate and ate and ate some more along with my salad...oh.  And some of Rina's french fries.  I have an affinity for potatoes and could not say no.

The day was easy, carefree and exactly what we needed to slow down after the frenetic days we'd left behind in Sevilla.

We came home to look through all the photos from the Féria and I found just one more that I needed to post because it shows the inside of the caseta (tent) so well...and we are holding glasses of that specialty drink, rebujito.

Tomorrow, Rina and I will visit the hills of Los Nuñez at la casa redonda where she can meet my good friend, Lyn, and see why I love it there so much.




1 comment:

  1. Hello, Patricia. I am Mercedes Humanes from Seville. I want to tell you that I could subscribe to your blog last weekend and I get it on the blogroll of my blog Calipso. You can see it in this link https://mycalipso.blogspot.com.es/
    I think to read all you write about Spain. I am sure I'll love it.
    I am sorry but I have to correct the title of this post. The word is "Chiringuito", you can see the "t" has the top erased and looks like an "r".
    Buenas noches and we'll keep in touch. Hugs

    ReplyDelete