Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Madrid and Trascasas Cousins

I just lost my entire post!
I am posting on my phone and it is not working, so did not get saved.  So I am typing like a mad woman trying to recreate it...

A quick synopsis: I am in Madrid and will be with my cousin, MERCEDES TRASCASAS and visit the ancestral village in Toro! Her grandfather was my great, great grandfather's brother.  When I nervously knocked on her door today, she flung it open and we were instant kindred spirits.

She found me five years ago after my brother Steven and I were in Toro... She asked me if I knew who the brother and sister might be who visited the ayuntamiento looking for her family.  We have been communicating ever since she found me (and I'd nearly fainted since we thought no family existed in the village at that time).  She is a tiny lady who just retired as a professor at the Universidad de Madrid.   She is a modern, sprite of a woman with a touch of blue in her hair.  She doesn't speak English but is learning.  We are helping each other pronounce our words.  She and her husband, Jenaro, are taking me to spend a few days in Toro on Thursday (tomorrow).  I am beyond excited to be in that little village again and have a family reunion with the other Trascasas cousins.  Am I dreaming?

We walked down the streets of Madrid about 9:00 pm and saw the lights just beginning to come on in the many buildings.  I felt like a country girl gone to the city.  I kept tripping on cobblestones and sidewalks because I kept looking up, up, up.  Where were we going?  They were taking me to a dinner theater to watch flamenco dancers!

The main via was alive with so many people, I could hardly believe it.  People were taking selfies everywhere - with and without selfie sticks.  The shops were open and inviting everyone in.  I am still looking for that black ruffled blouse...
OFF TO TORO and hope I have wifi there... but if not, I will be smiling everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. How do you feel now that you are home? What a wonderful adventure!!!! I loved the blog. I imagined that I was with you on many of your spectacular trips!! Thanks for including me in your trip! Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete