Friday, March 31, 2017

No Rush, Big Quiet and No Flamenco Guitars

THIS IS JOURNAL FROM THURSDAY -- I lost internet for 14 hours -- so two posts today (Friday)

I woke up slowly this morning in Algodonales and felt deliciously lazy.  The sun rises later here in the mountain province of Cadiz since I left Andalusia, so sunshine didn’t snap me awake.  It was quiet.  No roosters crowing outside my window.  Only one dog barking far away.  No bell gonging from a bell tower.  After I pulled myself out of this gorgeous bed, I made coffee and warmed my hands around the ceramic cup and sat on a chair to actually make time to enjoy the silence.  I watched birds flying around the patio near the orange trees that lean over the white wall near my window.  An asparagus fern fronds blew ever so slowly in the breeze.  And me?  I am sitting right in the middle of peace and simplicity in this place, this time.  I am finding all the little corners of my mind that have been up and down the last few months.  No rush today.  The feeling is so beautiful that I know I’m experiencing a gentle make-over.  I want to slow down so I can enjoy the simple joys of living when I return home again.  An epiphany?  Possibly.

Since the main event today is talking with the flamenco guitar people on Calle Ubrique, I was ready with a map, my questions and camera.  No worries about getting lost today.   Slow but sure, I showered and realized I would really be very relaxed today:  no hair dryer, so going natural without mousse in my hair was kind of a nice idea.  By now the sun was out and my hair would dry during my walk, no fluffs, no problem.  

Ready to roll again...down the stairs.
Algodonales is such a charming, white town nestled in the shade of the Sierra de Líjar mountains.  Its streets are lined with orange and lemon trees and tinkle to the murmur of its twelve fountains (tourist site words). Going forth into the village was now more natural for me, I walked with confidence and was delighted that every single person I passed responded or initiated, “hola” or “buenas días.”  I passed houses with tiled porches, ornate wooden doors, metal doors with key holes and a large round knob, grilled windows and ornately-framed windows.  I passed a farmer’s market where women wheeled their baskets, clearly on a mission.  Oranges, lemons, bananas, green vegetables, peppers, corn.  An abundance of vegetables and fruits covered several tables.  And shoes.  I certainly didn’t need any of them even though the silver sparkly slip on tennis shoes caught my eye.  Nope.  Didn’t buy any.

When I got closer to the flamenco shop, I stopped and stared.  There was a man meticulously fitting rocks into a wall in front of his house.  His wife was busily stirring up the cement in a wheel barrow.  They were both laughing with the joys of camaraderie.  I loved it. 



When I saw the flamenco guitar shop, I was very relieved.  I snapped a photo from across the street and then slipped into the doorway.  To my dismay, there was a CERRIDO sign on the door (closed).  What?  The hours were 10:30-1:30 and it was 11:45. I know time is “stretchy” in Spain, but this was not good at all.  Today was the day!  Big sigh.  I took photos and rearranged my leaving inside my mind so that just maybe I could go back tomorrow (Friday).  I would just catch a later bus…if there was a later bus back to Ronda.

Since lunch (almuerzo) is served at 2:00 here in Spain, I decided to explore the village that has become like a little haven to me.  I have never felt so safe in Spain except in Los Nuñez with Lyn and family.  Here, though, I am alone and it is comfortable, easy, quiet, quaint and safe.  It sort of feels like home.  Up and down (literally) the streets I went. 

I saw white houses, brass key locks, door knockers shaped like a hand and stone walls and walkways in front of or surrounding these tidy houses.  One thing I especially noticed was many houses have two doors.  One at the street and a little foyer/patio and the house door.  On the street, the outer door is left ajar as if to say, “welcome.”  It reminded me of the same token as the UK and in Colonial Williamsburg and their pineapples on posts or doorways (like Bobbie and Mike’s in Almogia). Everything is built together like townhouses and the mountains are its backbone.  When I looked toward the mountains, I saw a group of paragliders in the distance.  I’d read that paragliding conditions were internationally famous here in the Sierra de Líjar.  What a sight to behold!


My morning apple (breakfast) was long gone and hunger pangs were getting noisier by the minute.  The streets began to curve upward and the cobblestones were bumpier beneath my feet.  And when I saw the bench, it reached out and grabbed me.  It was here that I stayed for about an hour to watch the lives of Algodonales go by.  Barely a wisp of a breeze, very few clouds and the faraway sounds of a barking dog were my only companions.  Far away from the busy clutter and noise was giving me exactly what I’d hoped for during my Spanish hiatus.  The only piece of me that was missing were the very special people I’d left behind in America.

Finally 2:00 (14:00) found me back at the Mesón Tendido Cero restaurant.  Lyn told me restaurants often offer a Menu del día, so I asked and yes, they did.  The waiter nodded and I said, “Sí” but then he wanted to know which one on each category?  I understood “ensalada” and “pollo” so that’s what I ordered:  salad with tuna and chicken.  It was all delicious.  When I placed that chicken onto my tongue, I felt a thousand points of pleasure.  There was lemon and garlic oil, black pepper and…I have no idea what else.  And patatas fritas (french fries).  I drank “agua con gas” (fizzy water) and then when I could eat no more, I ordered “cafe con leche” instead of dessert.  You see, I’m off dessert for a while… When it arrived, it arrived in a sweet little cup, smaller than I’d ever received before.  (WOW).  Espresso?  I took a breath and sipped.  Yep, espresso with a creamy top.  I drank every drop.  I might have grown a couple hairs on my chest in the process, but when in Spain…(drink the coffee, not grow hairs).


After my lovely lunch, I walked to the bus/cafe to check the timetables for tomorrow’s bus back to Ronda.  The sun was warm on my back, children played in the square and mother’s beckoned with children laughing in return.  They skipped, laughed and played.  One little boy held a gun in front of him and it pulled me back a bit.  The bus will leave at 4:00 and 7:00 pm, so if I go at 3:00 and wait, hopefully I will get one of them. 

Of course, by now it was about 4:15.  I was done exploring for the day.  I was a little bummed about the flamenco shop, so when I saw Bar Canijo (my landlady suggested was the best local place in Algodonales), I slipped into a chair and started writing my daily journal.  I asked for sangria but she shook her head, no.  She offered me a “tinto verano con limón” and I recognized it because Lyn had given me that drink.  It is red wine mixed with lemonade.  ($1.20) Yum.  It tasted like sangria, looked like sangria and went down like sangria. (smile) 

I never feel rushed when I am at a table eating or having my sangria here.  Often I have to look up the server to pay my bill.  Today, I saw a car double parked next to the bar without a driver inside.  I also saw a man at a table across from me leisurely sipping a beer and chomping on a small bowl of nuts…at least fifteen minutes went by as I scribbled in my notebook.  When he left, he walked across the street to his car —- the one double parked!  The ways are so different here.

I mentioned the history of Algondonales and the May 2, 1810 date I see everywhere.  This was a very important time in their history…Algodonales was pillaged and burnt by the French and it was awarded its village status in 1817 in recognition of its inhabitants’ opposition to Napoleon’s army during the War of Independence. 


Tonight I would go without dinner again.  I was filled up from my chicken and salad.  I did, however, snag three pieces of bread and wrapped them in a napkin.  And then when I finished my wine, I dumped the nuts into another napkin.  My dinner was perfect, bread and nuts.  Now, I have been fighting with the internet since I returned to my room and began typing up my notes.  Trying not to feel anxious about it, they will just have to wait until I get to Ronda if it doesn’t work.  But feeling a bit disconnected from my loved ones doesn’t feel good at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment