Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Cordoba's mosque catredal

Cordoba!  I thought I'd seen beautiful orange gardens in Estepona yesterday, but until I arrived at the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba this morning, I realized I'd barely touched on the beauty of Spain.  Where to begin?  Breathing the air of this impressive array of columns, arches and domes and feeling its spiritual splendor is etched in my heart.  

Its Islamic architecture has Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine touches to come together with Christian architecture over a period of several centuries to create one of the most beautiful places in a city long known for its incredible history.  




Since it was built by several generations of religions and then after the Moors were pushed out of Spain, a Catholic cathedral was built in the middle of the original Moorish mosque, it was saved from demolition when the other (nearly 300) mosques were torn down.  Since it was no longer considered a mosque, but a Christian church consecrated in 1146 and again in 1236, it is a sacred place open to the world.  Since then (without missing a single day) Holy Mass has been held.

I will return on my own at the end of the month to feel part of the gardens and enter the mosque once again.  Once was not enough.
My computer is acting up, so this is it for tonight...




No comments:

Post a Comment