Wednesday, June 7, 2017

In the clouds at Montserrat above Barcelona

Today I stood on a mountain where lofty clouds hung their mist around me.  Montserrat is a monastery about an hour from Barcelona, a train ride away and then up in the gondola/cable car to the top.  

My friend, Janet H. (a WLMer) guided me there and we proceeded to have a day filled with wonder and created memories that will last a long time.  The yellow gondola made me only a little apprehensive as it climbed up, up and up some more to the top of the solid rock mountain.  When it started rocking into "port" at the top it reminded me of when we used to pull the ski boat into its berth in Charles City, Virginia.  No water, just miles of air below me.  I wanted off.

The other gondola passed us by as it descended to pick up the next passengers.  Janet explained that each car's cable pulled the other in some type of balance-and-go process.  The engineering seemed amazing to me.  I can't remember how it is done, I just know it got us up there smoothly and safe.

Despite low wispy clouds blocking miles of the promised view, our exploring began.  It is a unique treasure in Catalonia, a sanctuary as well as an important site for religious pilgrimages.  The mountain houses a huge basilica, a museum, many shops and twelve stations of the cross on the Santa Cova walk.  It first caught my attention when I saw a photo on the internet of a man standing on what appeared to be stone blocks.  Evidently it was real because now the "blocks" are surrounded by a fence... 

Janet and I rode a funicular (train) up the mountain for the views and stood in those clouds.  She told me that the sun would come out at 2:00.  Oh really?  Yes, she promised...the weatherman said it was so.  We joked about it most of the morning and into the early afternoon.  The clouds hung low, the breeze turned into a wind and goosebumps rose on our skin.  Just before 2:00 I was still teasing her as we began our climb to look at the beautifully sculpted statues for the stations... The clouds began to part as we hit station number two.  When the sun peeked out and the clouds separated above us, we looked at our clock.  1:58.  At 2:00 the sun shone brightly above us.  We stared at each other for a hot minute before we laughed and hugged one another in surprised delight.  A mystical magic had descended over us.  Really?  Yes, 2:00. There it was.  

We walked upward, downward, around and through beautiful tree-lined walkways where rocks were etched in cement.  Blackberry bushes, ivy and too many natural bits of green to count littered the walkway as we trudged along, resting several times on our way.  It was mesmerizing to see the mountains tower above us with peaks and channels in the stone on the Sant Joan walk.  The nature museum's folklore explained the history of the monastery which I found very interesting.  The view from there was pretty awesome too.

We were hungry and walked around toward the basilica where the square was filled with laughing and yelling children.  The church bell started gonging above us loudly with a deep, rich sound that nearly knocked us down with its intensity.  

When we found the restaurant (Abat Cisneros) in the Plaza del Monasterio beside the hostal, we knew we were going to treat ourselves.  Inside was shaped like a cave with its concave roof made of stones and murals on the walls.  One entire wall was the rock side of the mountain.  We chose the menu of the day.  The 27 euros would be worth the ambience; with the luxury of linen tablecloths, silver utensils and a view unlike anything I'd seen in awhile.  

Now, the menu.  I'll skip the starter, the tapas and go straight to the main dish because I still cannot believe it.  Since I arrived in Spain, I have eaten food never before tasted.  One of my favorites has been pig's cheeks.  So, when I saw pig on the menu with snails, I ordered it.  When it arrived, I saw Janet's eyebrows shoot up as my stomach took a lurching move south.  What had I done?  I forced myself to taste the pig's foot...and I even swallowed it (what else could I do?)  My stomach lurched again... and I ate the snails as I picked them out with the accompanying toothpick.  I will never (obviously) order this again...  I was so glad when they took away the plate.  Oh, and I washed it down with my red wine and water and more water after that.  Pig's cheeks are lovely.  This, although a delicacy Janet told me, will never sit in front of me again.  My stomach rolls as I think of it.


At the end of the day, we both agreed it has been a fabulous jaunt together.  We walked down the long cement walkway to the train that would take us back to Barcelona with a crowd of others.  Delighted to see the train waiting for us, we hopped on.  Unfortunately, every seat was taken by mostly young people and not one of them offered us their seat.  So, we chatted standing up for the hour ride back to Barcelona and prided ourselves on staying upright...

We weren't ready to say goodbye, so we stopped at a cafe and had a cold drink before we separated ways after heartfelt hugs and kisses on each cheek.  Janet to Sants Train Estación and me toward the abyss of the Catalunya Metro.  

Un buen día (a good day).
Here is a link to the monastery if you would like to read about this mystical place.  







1 comment:

  1. Sometimes all I can say to your post is......WOW! (Scenery AND food)!

    ReplyDelete