Thursday, February 23, 2017

A Mystery I want to solve in Trujillo, Spain

17 Days...

One day a couple of years ago, I opened the Hawaiian Spaniards Facebook page (as I do every day because it is filled with photos, history and connections to other Spanish descendants) and it took me a moment for my brain to tell me what I was seeing.  It was during the time after Professor James Fernandez (New York) and Luis Argeo (Spain) were in Spain researching for their book, INVISIBLE IMMIGRANTS.  During their trip they unearthed a wealth of information and family photographs from the Spaniards that our ancestors left behind.  That day, when I looked at the Hawaiian Spaniards site, I saw the family portrait of my family when my grandmother (abuelita) was twelve years old.  I'd seen the portrait several times and I'd used the face in a locket for the front of my book, The Girl Immigrant in 2013.

This portrait was found in an old trunk in the basement of a restaurant in Trujillo named Mesón La Troya once owned by Diego Barquilla.  Its new owner, Elena Barquilla (I believe she is the great-granddaughter) found many photos that she shared with the authors of Invisible Immigrants and my family portrait was included.  I was so amazed.  (I think I have this history correct... if not, it is totally my error).



Elena Barquilla and I made a connection and we are trying to connect our families' history.  Were they friends in Hawaii?  In California?  In Spain?  It ceases to amaze me about what a small world we really live in.  During my sabbatical in Spain during March, April, May and part of June, it is my hope to visit with Elena and sit in her restaurant...to discuss our family history.

Maybe once I sit with her and chat, we will find answers.  I hope she speaks some English, but my son just told me about a translator APP for my phone where I can speak English and out pops the Spanish translation (sort of).

Next post: Spanish Pearls Genealogy Blog -- catching up.

1 comment:

  1. Your son sounds like a really smart fella! Great advice! Who-da-thunk there was an app that translates!? I would say the kid borders on genius!👍😉

    ReplyDelete